Tuesday, September 9, 2014

National Preparedness Month


Did you know that September is National Preparedness Month?
 
It’s the perfect time to prepare for those unexpected situations. I’m a full believer in the phrase ‘anything is possible’ and that’s why I’ve decided to (finally) start compiling an emergency kit for my car. One of my main worries is getting stuck or having an accident in a snowstorm. I live in Pennsylvania and while we don’t get THAT much snow we do get one or two big storms per year.

“One of the worst, if not the worst, traffic accidents in the state's history took place on February 10, 2010 in Clearfield County.  It was actually a combination of accidents that began with the first one reported at 9 AM on the eastbound lanes at mile marker 116 involving 14 trucks and three passenger cars, with additional vehicles crashing until the final one made contact at mile marker 118 which brought the total to 30 trucks and 20 passenger cars.  The crash originated when two tractor-trailers jackknifed at mile marker 118, blocking both lanes and forcing the vehicles behind to collide with those two trucks.  The lone fatality was the driver of a vehicle that ran into the side of one of the trucks near mile marker 116.  Approximately 100 emergency responders had to access the site by traveling west in the eastbound lanes, and were on the scene for five hours.  Due to the enormity of the accident, some of the travelers had to be tended to at the scene then transported via Clearfield County-owned all-terrain vehicles to the locations of the ambulances.  Interstate 80's eastbound lanes were closed from Exit 111 to Exit 120 for 12 hours while debris was cleared.” Text from PaHighways.com

We don’t normally have a significant snowfall until January or February so I have time to work on my kit.

Plastic snow shovel - one already lives in my trunk but as of now that's the extent of my preparation

- Blankets - regular blanket and mylar thermal blanket
- Hand warmers
- Extra winter gloves, hat, etc.
- Water (3-day supply is recommended)
- Food (3-day supply is recommended)
- Flashlight/Batteries
- First Aid Kit

What do you think? Am I forgetting something?
 
Do you have an emergency kit for your house or car? With just a little preparation you will be much better off than the average person in an emergency situation.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you are smart! That is a great idea! I should tell glen I want to do that too. Especially since I will be going back and forth between NY and PA.
    You should have either kitty litter or sand to,put under your tires should you just get stuck in the snow or ice. Kitty litter works great and is cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I have floor mats in my trunk (and a set in use) that can serve the same purpose if necessary but it can't hurt to have litter, sand, or salt as well.

    ReplyDelete